Saturday 12 June 2010

Casablanca

Director: Michael Curtiz
Released: 1942
Genre: Romantic drama
Starring: Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Paul Henreid
Watch if you're: Looking for something vaguely romantic
Don't watch if you're: Looking for excitement
In one word: Overrated
UK Certificate: U
Warning: Blog post contains spoilers



I suddenly realised when I sat down to watch this film that I have never seen an entire black and white film before. I was surprised that I wasn't distracted by this. Living in this modern world where everything is full colour and high definition, I thought that I would find it difficult to get used to the monotony of grey. But actually, I barely noticed the absence of colour, and instead found my brain filling in the colours for me. This was my first experience of the glamour and beauty of classic Hollywood, and I didn't dislike it.

However, I didn't particularly enjoy the film either. I'm not a romantic, so the storyline didn't really appeal anyway, and there was little to redeem it. There was nothing about the film that confirmed to me that it deserved its place on the lists of the greatest films of all time. Yes, the acting was decent, and yes, the sets and costumes sparkled with the glamour of a classic Hollywood movie, but I don't know why this stood out from all of the other wartime movies. But then again, I haven't seen the other wartime movies, so maybe one day it will become clear.

The one thing I did find interesting about the film was that it showed me a different perspective of the second world war than I am used to. I have always seen it from the British side, and although I know it was a world war, I have never particularly considered the other countries involved before. So in that respect, it opened my eyes, which is something I am grateful for.

My rating: 6.5/10

Favourite moment: The end. A nice classic ending.

Number of movies still to watch: 96
Days to go: 362

I've now watched four films in as many days! Hooray! But this won't go on for much longer. I have to go back to school next week, so I'm just trying to fit in as many films as I can whilst I have nothing to do. I think the next film will be something more Sci Fi or fantasy. Or maybe a comedy. Something that doesn't have too much romance. I'm getting a little sick of it already...

No comments:

Post a Comment