Thursday 10 June 2010

Titanic

Director: James Cameron
Released: 1997
Genre: Romanctic epic
Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet
Watch if you're: Looking for fantastic special effects and a tragic story
Don't watch if you're: Looking for a laugh and a happy ending
In one word: Blimey!
UK Certificate: 12
Warning: Blog post contains spoilers

I first became fascinated with the story of the RMS Titanic when I was about eight years old. I had heard the basic story- an 'unsinkable' ship sinks, killing lots of people. What I didn't know was that it was based on a true story. I had thought it was just a film. When I discovered the truth, on a visit to the Sea Life Centre, eight year old me was filled with a sudden sense of dread and sadness for the lives lost.

Two years later, and I was lucky enough to go to a Titanic exhibition at the Science Museum in London. There, I read tales of the people on board, read the names of those who died, and looked at artefacts. The next day, I went to the IMAX cinema and saw Ghosts of the Abyss, a 3D documentary film which visited the remains of the Titanic (and was also directed by James Cameron). It had a really big effect on me. The whole story does. But I can't really explain why. I don't know if it comes from my fascination with big ships (how does something so big and heavy stay afloat at all?), or if it is just a case of my sadness for those on board. But even with my intrigue, I have never watched the film before.

I think that part of the reason I have avoided it so far is because I thought that it was primarily a love story. I am the complete opposite of a romantic- I get all cynical when it comes to love-and my idea of a good film is not one that gets all soppy and lovey-dovey. I could be forgiven for thinking this was just some romance- I have heard the 'My Heart Will Go On' song plenty of times, and the most iconic scene of the film ("Close your eyes." "Do you trust me?" "I'm flying!") is pretty sappy (if you're someone like me). But of course, Titanic isn't just about love, and seen as it was directed by James Cameron, I should have known better.

The opening scenes immediately brought forward the memories of ten year old me watching Ghosts of the Abyss (which I definitely recommend if you are interested). I was so glad it started in the present, looking back on the events, because I was immediately reassured that this wasn't just about love. This was a story about everybody on the ship that day.

We get to see all aspects of the people aboard, from the snooty upper-classes to the sweaty coal burners and everybody inbetween. We are given a real sense of what the atmosphere aboard the RMS Titanic was like. This is helped no end by the amazing sets and dazzling costumes, which really bring it all to life. Of course, the other iconic scene of the film is the ship sinking. The special effects in this scene are simply fantastic, there's no other way to describe it. The whole beauty of the film fills you with a sense of awe, and I was constantly asking myself "how did they film that?"

Yes, the main story is a love story, but Cameron doesn't just focus on that- he also tells us about the ship's demise, and the class war. DiCaprio and Winslet are fantastic in the main roles, creating completely relatable characters. The cynic in me normally scoffs at characters who fall in love so fast, but even I believed their romance. And it takes a lot to do that.

So, in all, a good re-telling of a tragic story, that is so well made that you almost believe you are actually there. Not really my normal type of film, but I was pleasantly surprised, and it is definitely a film to see before you die.

My rating: 7.5/10

Favourite moment: The sinking ship. Spectacular.

Number of films still to watch: 98
Days to go: 364

No comments:

Post a Comment