Friday 11 June 2010

The Graduate

Director: Mike Nichols
Released: 1967
Genre: Comedy-Drama
Starring: Anne Bancroft, Dustin Hoffman, Katherine Ross
Watch if you're: Looking for some very strong performances
Don't watch if you're: Looking for a likeable character
In one word: Hmm.
UK Certificate: 15
Warning: Blog post contains spoilers

Hmm. That is pretty much the best way I can describe my feelings towards this film. Undeniably, the performances from the actors are all very strong, and the direction is also fantastic. I particularly liked the way the camera followed Ben so closely in the opening scenes at the party- it so perfectly reflected the character's feeling of being trapped.

The film was apparently 'culturally significant', and who am I to argue with that? I wasn't alive when the film was released, and I'm no expert. But I stll don't really understand why people like it so much. Yes, it is very well made, and I certainly didn't dislike it, but that's pretty much it.

What I think really put me off the film was the plot and the characters. I often found myself wanting to punch Ben in the mouth. Seriously, if a guy like him followed me around my college campus, I'd do more than just scream once. And maybe it's just the cynic in me, but why do they want to get married anyway? They've been on one date, which ended badly- especially from Elaine's point of view, who has been lead to believe that Ben raped her Mother. I know they say that love can be found in the strangest places, but come on...

I would also dispute this being labelled a comedy-drama. After watching two very deep films, I was hoping for something more light-hearted, even if just a little bit. I'm not sure where the comedy was meant to be in this, but apparently some people actually do find it funny, so who am I to judge?

In all, a technically good film, but in my personal opinion, a much over-rated one.

My rating: 6.5/10

Favourite moment: When Elaine screamed at Ben. Somebody had to.

Number of films still to watch: 97

Days to go: 363

No comments:

Post a Comment